Lawn Care Services and Landscaping
When you don't have a lot of experience in landscaping it's hard to make the right choices regarding the best lawn care products to use as well as the right times to plant, water, fertilize and weed. Gardening store shelves are loaded with different types of fertilizer and there are several different types of grass seed from which to choose. Even if you're simply laying sod, these details must be carefully considered. First rate lawn maintenance requires that you know how to make the right choices. Otherwise, you can end up wasting a lot of money on the wrong lawn care and landscaping products. You may also find yourself putting in some hard labor to correct your mistakes.
For these reasons, it's good to consider hiring a professional lawn care and landscaping company. Staffed by experienced professionals, they can quickly assess your situation and determine your lawn care needs. Larger landscaping companies are also competitively priced and can actually cost you less than you'd spend yourself on products like grass seed, sod and fertilizer. Whether you're interested in standard or organic lawn care services, there are landscapers and lawn care services out there that can fill your needs.
What Lawn Care Services are available?
Scotts and TruGreen are two of the more popular large lawn service companies out there and they both offer full-service lawn care and landscaping. Some basic lawn care services include:
- Lawn Health Assessment: A good landscaping and lawn care company begins by assessing your laws to determine its specific needs.
- Lawn Mowers: Summer is a lot more fun when you don't have to sweat it out in the hot sun while you mow the lawn. Plus, professional lawn mowers generally do a better job making your grass look perfect.
- Sprinkler Systems: Many landscapers will install sprinkler systems so your lawn and landscaping is properly irrigated. This is another great time-saver in the hot months of summer.
- Lawn Aerators: Before seeding your lawn, it's essential to aerate it so the water is evenly distributed throughout. This helps prevent water being wasted and encourages uniform growth.
- Lawn Fertilizer and Weeding: When a commercial lawn care service takes over, you can count on having the right chemical mix in your lawn fertilizer and you don't have to get down on your knees to keep up with the weeds.
- Shrub and Tree Service: Making sure your shrubs and trees are healthy is another important aspect of lawn and landscaping care and maintenance.
If you prefer organic lawn care services that don't utilize chemical lawn fertilizer, it's important to ask each lawn care service company you consider about their lawn fertilizer and tree service practices. You'll quickly narrow down your landscapers that way.
Lawn Care Tips For Lush, Green Grass
You want luscious green grass that looks so good you can't wait to take off your shoes and run around barefoot. It's not beyond your grasp if you follow some basic lawn care tips for watering and lawn mowing, and even better with professional landscapers on hand.
In order to have beautiful green grass, it's essential to consider grass and soil type as well as your climate and the trends for rainfall in your area. A good standard for lawn care is to give your lawn ½ to ¾ inches of water twice a week. If you notice there are footprints in the grass that hang around for a while after you walk on it, go ahead and water again. Even if you have a lawn service that waters, it's a good idea to keep tabs on your lawn's moisture level.
Lawn Mowing Tips
- Never mow your lawn when the grass is wet.
- Don't cut too much; a good rule of thumb is to keep your lawn between 2.5 and 3 inches high.
- Sharp mower blades are a must.
- As long as they aren't too thick or wet, leave grass clippings on the lawn. The nutrients they provide can lessen the need to use fertilizer and weed killer.
- During the hot months it's best to keep the grass longer and a little shorter when it's cooler.
Landscapers can give you even more ideas about how to achieve and maintain a yard full of crisp, green grass. Whether you prefer organic weed killer to chemicals, want to do your own lawn mowing or let a lawn care service handle everything, you can easily find the help you need.